Thursday, July 3, 2008

'@' issue in samba printers

I am a happy KDE user and using Kubuntu for my day to day work nearly 2 years without major hick ups. To access printers shared my working place I wanted to use KDE Print comes with Kubuntu since it would help me to get rid of painful configurations and also now we are not in our grand father's generation of Linux users (anyway I always respect people who know configuration correctly but I am not). Only way I could access this printer was using Samba due to some internal administration issues.




When I was using the above mentioned configuration wizard it asks print server, user name, password to be used to access printer. Each time I tried to configure printer it ends with a weired error message. To me I was giving configurations correctly but it was time wasting and annoying.



After some struggling time I just looked at the Samba URL used in the internally and guessed the error it could happens in this kind of scenario. Brovo .. guessing was correct. Here is the details.

Samba uses a protocol given to connect to the printer internally and you can observe '@' used to separate password and server-name.

smb://username:password@server-name/printer-name

Since I was using a bit secured password it had '@' sign in the middle too. So protocol is getting messed up the my very secured password. Then I just change my password and used new one for printer. Finally everything worked perfectly.

Moral of the story is that don't use '@' signs in your passwords when you are going to access samba shared printers.

No comments: