Friday, June 27, 2008

To overcome WS-*

Last week one of my colleagues asked me couple of questions about web services, thinking that I know it better than him but in the middle I puzzled with some of those questions was unable to answer them. I realized it is time for me to bit more organize my web services knowledge. Reading a good technical book is the only possible solution came to my mind. There were couple of eBooks with me but choosing correct one was the main problem. I went with the book with the longest name and with the biggest number of authors I had on this subject. It was "Web Services Platform Architecture: SOAP, WSDL, WS-Policy, WS-Addressing, WS-BPEL, WS-Reliable Messaging, and More". This book is one of the very good technical books I went through recently and really impressed with it.

It starts with describing the rudimentary difference between of SOA and web services terms. Now I understand how badly people are using terms SOA and web services without knowing real concept. This is how it explains it.

SOA represents one abstraction of architectural concept. It is an approach to building software systems that is based on loosely coupled components (services) that have been described in uniform way that can be discovered and composed.


Web services represents one important approach to realizing on SOA.

Then breaks down web services technology in to nice layered architecture and starts describing each layer both architectural and practical usage point of views. So reader has a clear picture where he is in before diving in to the deep end. The book ends with two case studies to giving more information practical usage of web services technology.

1 comment:

Charitha said...

Yes Lasantha. It is indeed a great book. One of the complexities and ambiguities of Web Service space is the large number of WS specs. This book greatly helps to understand and differentiate them.